In February, Eric Schmitt wrote in the New York Times about the Obama administration’s emerging Yemen strategy, whereby U.S. and Yemeni intelligence and military officials would “work together to kill or capture about two dozen of al Qaeda’s most dangerous operatives, who are focused on attacking America and its interests.” Readmore:
- Subscribe via RSS
- Massive winter storm heads east December 9, 2013
Pentagon chief Hagel in Pakistan for talks on security, drones December 9, 2013
By David Alexander RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel discussed the use of U.S. drones against militants in remote areas of Pakistan on Monday during the first visit by a Pentagon chief to the South Asian ally in almost four years. The United States has a complicated relationship with Pakistan and ties have been further soured by a dispute over unmanned military aircraft the United States uses to target militants in Pakistan's tribal areas on the Afghan border. Protests by anti-drone activists prompted the United States to suspend ground shipments of NATO cargo leaving Afghanistan via Pakistan last week. "The prime minister ... conveyed Pakistan's deep concern over continuing U.S. drone strikes, stressing that drone strikes were counter-productive to our efforts to combat terrorism and extremism on an enduring basis," the foreign ministry said in a statement.
- Accusations dog U.S.-Russian copter deal December 9, 2013
Congress ready to extend ban on plastic firearms December 9, 2013
WASHINGTON (AP) — A Senate vote to renew an expiring ban on plastic firearms capable of evading metal detectors and X-ray machines is shaping up as a bittersweet moment for gun control supporters, days before the anniversary of the deadly mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.
Thai PM dissolves Parliament, calls elections December 9, 2013
BANGKOK (AP) — Desperate to defuse Thailand's deepening political crisis, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Monday said she is dissolving the lower house of Parliament and called for early elections. But the moves did nothing to stem a growing tide of more than 150,000 protesters vowing to overthrow her in one of the nation's largest demonstrations in years.
- BBC launches five new HD channels December 9, 2013 11:33 amThe BBC has brought forward its launch of five new subscription-free HD channels in time for Christmas. The new channels, which launched on Tuesday, are BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, BBC News HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD. They will all be available on Freeview HD, Sky HD, Freesat HD, YouView,... […]
- Offense answers the call (Cincinnati Bengals) December 9, 2013 10:41 am(Source: Cincinnati Bengals) The Bengals' dominance at Paul Brown Stadium and in the AFC North continued for another intriguing week Sunday when their offensive weapons jumped off the paper like they were supposed to. While quarterback hit 69 percent of his 35 passes for 275 yards and three touchdowns to three different receivers, the Bengals wove 155 r […]
- Around the NHL: Bruins top Maple Leafs December 9, 2013 10:22 amBlue Jackets chat at 1 p.m. Wednesday Blue Jackets: Johansen line producing Blue Jackets notebook: Hurting Penguins still dangerous Jackets, Penguins at a glance Blue Jackets' probable lines Penguins' probable lines Around the NHL: Bruins top Maple Leafs Blue Jackets: Nick Foligno persevering, prospering Blue Jackets notebook: Bobrovsky, Jackets ha […]
- BBC launches five new HD channels December 9, 2013 11:33 am